Sunday, July 08, 2007

Fields of blessings

Hello this is Erin from the Northern Walk.
So many things have happened up here that I'm not sure where to start, so maybe I'll start with the most important thing, our walk was blessed to be able to go to the best city in the country Ames, IA.
So how did we end up in this great place you might ask when our schedule clearly says we should have gone through Minnesota and Wisconsin? Well my friends that is Crossroads. Our small but mighty walk was behind, so our brilliant team leader seeing that we could both save time and walk through a wonderful state that crossroads has been neglecting, drove us down I-35 to Ames where we could pick up our walking at essentially the same longitude.
In Ames one of our blessings was the addition of two new guys (Eric and Chris) that Martha brought down, so between them and Elizabeth who we picked up in Minneapolis we now have 9 walkers. This is such a blessing as just 2 weeks ago we had 6 when Charles was at a wedding. These three not only add 3 fresh sets of legs to the walk, but experience, as all three of these lovely people have walked on one or more crossroads walks.
While in Ames we were able to attend a prayer group, stay in a house with showers, laundry and beds (always a plus) and be fed abundantly by amazing people who were thrilled to have us with them.
Speaking of food and beds let me relate to you the story of the monsignor and his parish that kept on giving. The day before we left Minnesota for Iowa we went to church in the Cathedral in New Ulm where we got to receive Jesus in a beautiful mass. The monsignor was surprised but obviously pleased to see that his parish had had a pro-life invasion that morning. He even had one of our walkers give a little talk after mass that morning about what we were doing, then he took us out to breakfast, then he had his parish make a nice donation to the cause, then he offered us the rectory to stay in overnight(we each got our own bedroom and bathroom-such luxury), then he bought us dinner, the next morning with the help of a parishioner he sent us off with a home cooked breakfast and cases of water.
So from there it was to Ames, which has thus far been the highlight of my trip, I never thought going to the city where I go to school and seeing people I see all the time would be the best time that I have had thus far but it was. I appreciated so much more those things and people that I normally take for granted and even though I'm getting a lot of crap from the other walkers up here from being obsessed with a "boring" state I know that there is no place like home. Besides corn fields are cool.
Well thats it from me. I know theres stuff I missed so I'll have to post again later. Peace and God Bless.

P.S. Tom if you're reading this we miss you a lot man and we hope things go well with the new job

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home